The Kamloops 2020 Canada 55+ Games Society
Personal Information Protection Policy
The Kamloops 2020 Canada 55+ Games Society (the Society) is committed to the protection of our participants’, non-participants’ sponsors’ and volunteers’ personal information. During the lead-up to, the execution of and following the Kamloops 2020 Canada 55+ Games (the Games) the collection, use and disclosure of some personal information about our members, non-participants, participants and volunteers will occur.
British Columbia’s Personal Information Protection Act (PIPA) came into effect on January 1, 2004 and sets out the ground rules for how B.C. businesses and not-for-profit organizations may collect, use and disclose personal information.
The Society will inform our participants, non-participants, sponsor and volunteers of why and how we collect, use and disclose any personal information, obtain consent where required, and only handle personal information in a manner that a reasonable person would consider appropriate.
This Personal Information Protection Policy, in compliance with PIPA, outlines the principles and practices we will follow in protecting participants’, non-participants’ sponsors’ and volunteers’ personal information. Our privacy commitment includes ensuring the accuracy, confidentiality, and security of our non-participants’, participants’ sponsors’ and volunteers’ personal information and allowing them to request access to, and correction of, their personal information.
Scope of this Policy
This Personal Information Protection Policy applies to the Society and any of its subsidiaries. This policy also applies to any collection, use or disclosure of personal information on behalf of the Society prior to, during or following the Games.
Contact information, not covered by this policy or PIPA, is information that would enable an individual to be contacted at a place of business. Examples of contact information that the Society will be collecting are;
- Contact Name
- Contact Phone #
- Contact Email Address
- Business Name
- Business Address
Non-participant (typically a partner or relative of a participant) is anyone who registers and attends the Games but does not participate in any of the Games’ events. They pay a reduced fee and gain access to transportation, ceremonies etc.
Participant is anyone who registers and attends the Games and participates in one or more event.
Personal information, is broadly defined as information that is reasonably capable of identifying a particular individual either alone or when combined with information from other available sources. Examples of personal information that the Society will be collecting are;
- Date of Birth
- Phone # (home and cell)
- Driver’s License (for bus drivers only)
- Pictures of participants, non-participants or volunteers during ceremonies or events
Sponsor is any company or individual who donates money or services to the Society or the Games.
Volunteer is any individual in any of the following groups (as defined in the Kamloops 2020 Canada 55+ Games Glossary of Terms and Titles) that participates in the planning or execution of the Games.
- Chairs: is an individual selected by a Director to work in a given directorate
- Directors: members of the Society’s Board
- General Volunteers: are individual volunteers that will be recruited to assist with the execution of the Games.
- Liaisons: represent various organizations (independent of the Society) that will be involved in the planning of the Games.
- Competition Coordinators: are responsible for oversight and management of events.
- Competition Chairs: are subject matter experts responsible for the planning of specific events.
Collecting Personal Information
Unless the purposes for collecting personal information are obvious and the participants, non-participants, sponsors or volunteers voluntarily provides their personal information for those purposes, we will communicate the purposes for which personal information is being collected, either orally or in writing, before or at the time of collection.
We will only collect participant, non-participant, sponsor or volunteer information that is necessary to fulfill the following purposes:
- To verify identity and eligibility requirements for event registration;
- To build event schedules;
- To provide event results;
- To process required payment for event registrations;
- To build a list of general volunteers;
- To determine volunteer qualifications where needed (e.g. drivers);
- To complete our sponsorship agreement;
- To complete our accommodation booking process
- During the execution of the Kamloops 2020 Canada 55+ Games, the Society, its volunteers and/or associated news agencies may take participants’, non-participants’ or volunteers’ pictures for display on the Games’ website or other sites for publicity purposes.
We will obtain participant, non-participant and volunteer consent to collect, use or disclose personal information.
Consent will be provided by completing one or more of the Society’s registration/sign-up forms (paper based or on-line) or sponsorship form.
Participants, non-participants or volunteers can withhold or withdraw their consent to the Society but that may disqualify participants, non-participants or volunteers from participation in the Games. We will explain the situation to assist the participant non-participant or volunteer in making the decision.
We may collect, use or disclose personal information without the participant’s, non-participant’s or volunteer’s knowledge or consent in the following limited circumstances:
- When the collection, use or disclosure of personal information is permitted or required by law;
- In an emergency that threatens an individual’s life, health, or personal security;
- When the personal information is available from a public source (e.g., a telephone directory).
Using and Disclosing Personal Information
We will only use or disclose participants, non-participants’ or volunteers’ personal information where necessary to fulfill the purposes identified at the time of collection:
- To register our participants or non-participants or schedule our volunteers in any type of program or documentation used for the Games;
- To create event schedules for the Games in any type of program or documentation used for the Games;
- To provide participant information (Names and ages) to media or report results of the Games on our website, other media sites or any type of documentation used during the Games;
- To conduct participant, non-participant and/or volunteer surveys during or after the Games;
- To share required personal information with the local accommodation being booked for those participants or non-participants who are booking accommodations through the Society;
We will share participants’ and non-participants’ email addresses with Tourism Kamloops so people can be informed of special events and tourist related activities happening around the time of the Games.
When we collect general volunteer personal information we will ask each person if they want to be added to the Kamloops Sports Council database for future volunteer opportunities. If they consent then their personal information will be shared with the Kamloops Sports Council.
We will not sell or give away participant, non-participant or volunteer lists or personal information to other parties.
We will not use or disclose member, participant or volunteer personal information for any additional purpose unless we obtain consent to do so.
Retaining Personal Information
If we use participant, non-participant or volunteer personal information to make a decision that directly affects the individual or individuals, we will retain that personal information for at least one year so that the participant, non-participant or volunteer has a reasonable opportunity to request access to it.
Subject to the policy directly above, we will only retain participants’, non-participants’ or volunteers’ personal information only as long as necessary to fulfill the identified purpose.
Ensuring Accuracy of Personal Information
We will make all reasonable efforts to ensure that participants’, non-participants’, sponsors’ or volunteers’ personal information is accurate and complete. Participants, non-participants or volunteers may request correction to their personal information in order to ensure its accuracy and completeness. A request to correct personal information must be made in writing and provide sufficient detail to identify the personal information and the correction being sought.
Any request for correction to personal information should be addressed to The Kamloops 2020 Canada 55+ Games Society’s Privacy Officer or designated individual. See final section for contact information.
If the existing personal information is shown to be inaccurate or incomplete, we will correct the information as requested and, if appropriate, send the corrected information to any organization which we previously disclosed it to. If the correction is not made we will inform the requestor.
Securing Personal Information
We are committed to ensuring the security of participants’, non-participants’, sponsors’ or volunteers’ personal information in order to protect it from unauthorized access, collection, use, disclosure, copying, modification or disposal or similar risks. The following security measures will be followed to ensure personal information is appropriately protected:
- Access to personal information will only be granted to volunteers needing access;
- Other security measures may include the use of locking file cabinets, restricted access to offices and for computers: user IDs and passwords for access to electronic files.
- The Society will use appropriate security measures when destroying participant’s, non-participant’s or volunteer’s personal information such as shredding documents or deleting electronically stored information
- We will continually review and update our security policies and controls as technology changes to ensure ongoing personal information security.
Providing Member, Participant or Volunteer Access to Personal Information
Participants, non-participants, sponsors or volunteers have a right to access their personal information, subject to limited exceptions such as disclosure would reveal personal information about another individual,
Any request to access personal information must be made in writing and provide sufficient detail to identify the personal information being sought. The request must be addressed to The Kamloops 2020 Canada 55+ Games Society’s Privacy Officer or designated individual. See the final section for contact information.
Upon request, we will tell the individual how we use their personal information and to whom it has been disclosed, if applicable.
We will make the requested information available within 30 business days or provide written notice of an extension where additional time is required to fulfill the request.
A minimal fee may be charged for providing access to personal information. Where a fee may apply, we will inform the participant, non-participant, sponsor or volunteer of the cost and request further direction from the individual on whether or not we should proceed with the request.
If a request is refused in full or in part, we will notify the individual in writing and provide the reason for refusal and the recourse available to the individual.
Questions and Complaints:
The Privacy Officer or designated individual is responsible for ensuring the Kamloops 2020 Canada 55+ Games Society’s compliance with this policy and the Personal Information Protection Act.
Contact information for The Kamloops 2020 Canada 55+ Games Society’s Privacy Officer or designated individual:
Alex de Chantal, Games Manager
Kamloops 2020 Canada 55+ Games
#101 – 1550 Island Parkway Dr.
phone: (250) 828-3823
KAMLOOPS 55+ SENIOR GAMES
Do you have questions about the event, venues, volunteering or sponsorship? Please contact us today and a team member or volunteer will be in touch with you as soon as possible to asnwer your questions!